Some aspect of this history remains with our adoption of yoga techniques but it tends to take the form of an oasis for our busy minds and busier lives. It picked up steam as a fitness routine in the late ’90s after aerobics fell out of vogue, but it’s managed to endure because of the rewarding sense of wellbeing people often report after doing it.
It was long thought that yoga couldn’t possibly keep you as fit as aerobics because it uses up less energy, but some research shows promising effects on body weight reduction and risk of heart disease even compared to other exercises. So if you want to shape up your body while keeping yourself relaxed, yoga seems to be a good train to jump on.
If you’re curious, these 10 yoga positions should get you started on your journey to better health at your own pace.
COMMENT and let us know what poses work best for you.
1. The Wind Easing Pose (Pavanamuktasana)
2. The Pontoon Pose (Naukasana)
3. The Half-Boat Pose (Naukasana)
4. The Plank Pose (Kumbhakasana)
5. The Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
6. The Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
7. The Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
8. The Bridge Pose (Setubandhasana)
9. Warrior Pose #1(Veerbhadrasana 1)
10. Warrior Pose #2 (Veerbhadrasana 2)
If you’ve been following these steps, you’re definitely on your way.
Main Image via Lara Hudson